Readers scrolling through streams can easily scan for content relevant to them. Wether they land on a stream, a permalink, or a story type page, we hope that visually displaying this information will cause readers to stay on site longer and consume more content.
Right now, Indexers, like Google, scan all of your content (titles, copy, etc.) to understand what Jalopnik is all about. Adding additional context using keywords organized in a specific hierarchy makes your site easier to crawl.
Story Types can have descriptions and branding furthering the visual connection and way-finding. This is particularly helpful for story types that aren’t inherently clear to new readers like, Countersteer, or Car Vs. America.
Story Types: Think of these as the primary tag that describes what this article can be categorized by.
Tags: Tags should further describe the content of the article and allow readers to drill down deeper into more nuanced or specific topics.
Tags Only: The Morning Shift, BMW, Crossovers, Sedanocalypse
Story Type: The Morning Shift
Tags: BMW, Crossovers, Sedanocalypse
*do NOT also tag The Morning Shift
The only difference is how you are selecting or saving this information in the editor and how we display it to readers.
1. Make sure the correct site is selected
2. Open the story types menu
3. If your article is part of a Jalopnik Series, select from these Story Types:
4. If your article is NOT part of a Jalopnik Series, select from these Topical Story Types:
5. Are you writing a Review? Select the Review Story Type and then assign the particular auto show you’re reporting on.