- Kinja can typically pull a thumbnail for posts that use standard embeds in the lead slot (Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook) but some other embeds do not have thumbnails available. In these cases, when you insert an embed into an article that cannot pull a thumbnail, you will see an alert in the editor. Videos from Youtube, Vimeo, and Facebook may pull a thumbnail, and therefore not trigger an alert, but you can choose to change the thumbnail using the same tool.
2. In order to insert a custom thumbnail, click the embed to show the inline toolbar. (The same toolbar used for image/video alignment). On the inline toolbar, you will see a new icon for uploading custom thumbnails. If you click on an embed that already has a thumbnail assigned to it, the icon will appear blue.
3. Click the new custom thumbnail icon to trigger the upload module. The only two ways to choose a custom thumbnail are by inserting a URL or clicking the choose file button. Drag and drop won’t work here.
4. After you click insert, the missing thumbnail alert message will close. The icon will turn blue to let you know that there is a custom thumbnail associated with that particular embed. Your embed will continue to display normally in the editor, within the published post and on the homepage.
5. When you put posts with custom thumbnails in the curation module, the custom thumbnail will appear. This custom thumbnail will also appear in the recommendation module, in the sidebar, and when someone shares this post to twitter or facebook. ***See examples below
Recommendation Stories Module:
**When sharing a post through Socialflow, the custom thumbnail tells Facebook which image to use in the Facebook card (img of FB card). For Twitter, you will continue to upload an image or GIF with each Tweet.**